Sunday, January 21, 2007

Peace Corps life

When I accepted the invitation to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer in Thailand, I knew I was in for an adventure. I imagined that I would see new places, meet some interesting people, and experience some pretty exciting stuff. Barely more than a week into my stay here, I can say it has been exactly as I expected and then some. Here is a look into my first several days in the Land of Smiles!


Departure
Caitlin came to SFO to see me off. We both knew this day would eventually come and while I think we both did a good job preparing for it, it was not easy saying goodbye. But we both also knew that we were in for some pretty exciting times so that helped...sort of.



Stopover in Japan


After the long flight to Tokyo, a couple of us needed a few beers to unwind!




Collin, Mike, Peter and Anton enjoying a couple of Sapporos


Arrival


We got "layed" pretty much as soon as we got off the plane. Dr. John Williams, the PC Thailand country director, was there to meet us along with several of the PCT staff. A bigger surprise awaited us at the exit as a bunch of current serving volunteers were there to welcome us into the Peace Corps family with lots of signs and even more energy.
Then it was off to Kao Yai National Park (a 2 hour bus ride). At this point, I was just so exhausted since I didn't get too much sleep on the plane. It was so much fun traveling with 55 other people after being so used to flying alone for so long.


1/12/07 1st Day


We got in Kao Yai at about 3:30 AM and had a session scheduled for 10:00 AM. Naturally, we were all in a bit of a daze so the PC training staff were kind enough to give us the afternoon off. 56 volunteers+ a pool with a diving board+ a beautiful day+ an awareness that the next 2 years of our lives would not involve some of life's "finer luxuries"= FUN IN THE SUN!!!




1/13/07


Alot of information today. Mostly info about what the next 3 months of our lives were going to look like (intense)


We were taught one of the most essential things for assimilating into Thai culture--the WAI. Essentially, the wai is a greeting used by the Thai people where they place their hands together in front of their faces and bow to acknowledge a person. Thais are VERY polite and EVERYONE wais.


At night we had some karaoke fun with the PST staff. It started off with the Thai staff singing Thai songs but it didn't take long for the PC trainees to take over. A couple of the guys and I did a choreographed rendition of "I Want it that Way" by the Backstreet boys. Sadly, I knew the lyrics and the dance moves...yikes! The Thai staff loved it!



Backstreet Boys..Peace Corps Style



1/14-1/16



The next 3 days were mostly sessions on a bunch of information i.e. policies, medical, language, cultural, etc.



1/17- Meeting the Governor, HOMESTAY


We met the governor of Sakeo province today and had to introduce ourselves in Thai. Dr. John said he was very impressed with our group. Good stuff! The afternoon included a few crash courses on using the traditional Thai toilet and shower and how to set up our mosquito nets during our homestay.

Looking all professional for the governorGroup shot Squatting Toilet 101
Setting up the mosquito net

A big part of our training includes living with a Thai host family for the next 2 months. It will be a total immersion into Thai culture plus a good way to pick up the language. I'm currently about 4 days into my homestay and while it has been difficult at times--the language barrier can be tough--it was been a very rewarding experience, one I will probably never forget. Here are a couple of pictures of my new home! First picture is of my family, 2nd--my room, 3rd--my toilet and 4th--my bath room. Pretty intense stuff but actually alot of fun. I was a little worried about the squat toilet at first but I've gotten used to it (when you gotta go, you gotta go!)



1 comment:

James said...

Man, Anton, that is some pretty intense stuff right there. Backstreet Boys, squatting toilets, and crazy diving tricks. Good luck over there buddy. It looks like everything is going pretty well!