Friday, January 26, 2007

Its all about...the Hokie Pokie!!!


Yesterday, we had a couple of current Peace Corps volunteers share about their experience in Thailand. They were a wonderful older married couple with alot of experience teaching back in the US and have been teaching in Thailand for a year. It was a great presentation and they outlined the best reasons for teaching in Thailand. One of them was "Beer is served in School" Apparently, beer over lunch is a common thing for Thai teachers. How awesome is that?



The number one reason they gave however (as if the beer wasn't enough) was the students. And at first I thought it was a bit cheesy but as I reflect on the past few days here, I have to agree. I've met some of the nicest kids in my language school and today was my first day of teaching in another school. So I've been to two school and the kids in both have been great! Plus... they all enjoy my singing (I am a horrible singer) I've introduced the Hokie Pokie as a way to teach "right" and "left" and they ABSOLUTELY love it. Even kids from the other classes would run over to check it out. For 2 glorious minutes, I felt like a pop star.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The kids are beautiful and quite healthy! One of them had a "DJ smile". I can see why you are having fun. P.S. Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Anton, They like your singing??? I'm worried... :)
You look like your having an awesome time!!! Oh yeah...The toilets look... intimidating :)