Sunday, January 28, 2007

My Brother, the Monk


My host brother became a monk this weekend and the 2 day ceremony to celebrate his becoming a monk was a feast for the senses. Spices filled the air as enough food for 700 people was prepared. Beautiful chanting resonated from the temple and rock music blared as the dancing spilled unto the streets. But the biggest treat of all was reserved for the eyes. This weekend was a vast array of images: the older women of the village making a Baysi; the younger women getting up as early as 4:00 AM to begin preparing the feast; a community taking turns cutting a young man's hair and an older monk finishing it off; a mother praying for her child and a relative being moved to tears; family members proudly carrying the monk-to-be on their shoulders; and a young monk, under the watchful eyes of his elders, donning the robe.

I was very fortunate to witness such a beautiful cultural experience and I'd like to share the pictures. It was such a joy taking them (my camera has this beautiful feature that allowed me to isolate certain colors) and I hope you all enjoy! If you'd like to see more pictures from the ceremony, check out http://ataruc.multiply.com and click on photos

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures Anton... keep them coming. It sure seems like you are having a great time and really learning a new culture. Talk to you soon I am sure~

Anonymous said...

The ceremony looked beautiful, and it was great to have experienced it through YOUR eyes. I see youre learing the wonders of a digital point and shoot... congratulations my friend. I'm sure this is the start of a beautiful relationship (with your camera that is :))

Anonymous said...

darn you and your artful picture taking....nice photos buddy.