Thursday, April 19, 2007

Bpai tiao mai?





Phi Mi

One of the most enjoyable things about being immersed in a place where you are just beginning to learn the language is that alot of surprises happen. The surprises aren't always pleasant--on a couple of occasions, I have been served a different dish from the one I ordered--but they always make for new, and often enjoyable, results (on every occasion that I've been served a different dish, I ended up enjoying what was served to me.)

Two of the more memorable surprises I've had so far have been trips my co-workers have taken me on. "Bpai tiao mai?" they would ask "you want to go on a trip?" Now I've come to realize the futility of asking "where" because one, I would have no idea anyway (this being my first time in Thailand) and two, I simply would not understand what they were saying. So the easy answer has always been "sure!" And that response has taken me to two absolutely fascinating and beautiful places-- Phi Mi and Phra Chedi Mongkol.

Phi Mi is a gorgeous, old Khmer-style temple ruin in the province of Korat and Phra Chedi Mongkol is this giant chedi/pagoda within an impressive temple complex located in my very own province (future visitors, if you are interested, we can arrange for a visit.)


On each of these trips I had no idea where they were taking me but, as so often happens in Thailand, they turned out to be pleasant surprises!

The pictures: 1st three are from Phi Mi, the rest are from Chedi Mongkol


1 comment:

James said...

Gorgeous Anton! Not you...the pictures...yes I know you are in the pictures, but...okay you are gorgeous. Good to see you are doing well.