Wednesday, March 28, 2007

It's Official...I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer!!!




On March 23rd, it all finally made sense. Not that it didn't to begin with. But whatever "what in the world am I doing?" moments I've had over the past three months...forget them... because now, I AM A PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEER!!! Yup, after three months of language training, and sessions, and flip chart papers, and cross cultural training, and medical training, and more sessions, and techincal training, and bike riding, and more sessions...I, Antonio Eduardo Reyes Taruc, am now an official Peace Corps Volunteer!

Peace Corps Thailand Group 119 had our official swearing in ceremony 5 days ago, on the 23rd of March at the Thai Hyatt Erawan and what a ceremony it was! Not only was the ceremony to swear-in the new volunteers but it was also to celebrate 45 years of strong partnership between Thailand and the Peace Corps. Former Peace Corps volunteers flew in from all over to attend and that made the event all the more memorable. There were a couple of amabassadors around (one of which was a former Peace Corps Thailand volunteer) and so was the foreign minister of Thailand (who told us, in a speech, that he first learned English from a Peace Corps volunteer back in the day.) The Crown Princess of Thailand was the guest of honor and let me tell you, here in Thailand, having royalty attend any function is a HUGE deal.

Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take pictures during the ceremony (Thai palace regulations) but it was a beautiful ceremony with wonderful speeches--all short and sweet. The man of the hour however, had to be my fellow group 119er, Scott, who literally blew everyone away with his Thai speech. Even the princess, who had just flown in from Cairo and was very tired (yet was gracious enough to attend), was impressed. EVERYONE was. People in Thailand wonder whether I am truly American because of how I look. I think after his speech, people should wonder whether Scott is actually Thai!

Anyhow, it was a fun affair and it's great to be official! (Which of course means I now have 2 years of hard work ahead!) Here are some pre-ceremony pics. Enjoy!



With K. Rumpai, our most excellent Training ManagerSadie, myself, and Bekah--Best Language Class Ever!With my principal and one of my co-teachersWith Garrett and Peter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Anton for completing the training and now you can actually say, you are a Peacecorp volunteer. Do you get to keep your yellow Thai costume? It sure fits you perfect! Enjoy the second phase of your life in Thailand. Miss you. Love, Ninang Honey

Anonymous said...

Nice post! GA is also my biggest earning. However, it’s not a much.